As part of the exchange activities foreseen within the LinkTADs project. Dr. Yuzi Luo from Harbin Veterinary Research Institute (HVRI) visited the National Veterinary Institute of Sweden (SVA) on October 18-31, 2014.
During her visit, Dr. Yuzi Luo conducted a number of collaborative activities, including:
(1) Inter-laboratory evaluation of the Erns-ELISA/E2-ELISA for classical swine fever virus (CSFV) and the PCR for African swine fever virus (AFSV);
(2) Training in metagenomics and Luminex technologies;
(3) Exchange in some cutting-edge diagnostic technologies;
(4) Learning the SOPs in diagnosis and epidemiology from SVA OIE laboratories;
(5) Presentation of the recent research progress in pseudorabies virus and CSFV at HVRI.
With the help of Dr. Lihong Liu and other colleagues from SVA, Dr. Yuzi Luo evaluated the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) method for ASFV, which was developed by HVRI. The evaluation was performed using several reference ASFV strains, which are not available in China. The method was then validated with higher specificity and sensitivity compared to the PCR recommended by OIE.
It is important to underline that this method will be used to identify any possible ASFV spread China.
Dr. Luo also validated the Erns-ELISA/E2-ELISA for CSFV using the serum samples from SVA, which resulted in the method improvement.
The visit was carried out within the framework of the LinkTADs project, which fosters the creation of the Joint Laboratory of Veterinary Microbiology jointly run by HVRI and SVA.